To Another Level Lesson: There is a hurting world all around you. You know the good news. Now, it’s time to take it to another level and be the good news.
The most popular reason people give me for not sharing their faith is because they have fears about sharing their faith. Perhaps it is the fear of being rejected, or the fear of not knowing what to say, or simply lacking the courage. Here are ten ways you can overcome your fear of sharing your faith.
1) Memorize a few Scriptures and a soul-winning approach. The Romans Road (Romans 3:23, 6:23, 5:8 and 10:9, 10) is a simple four Scripture explanation of the gospel message.
“When a man is filled with the Word of God, you cannot keep him still.” -Dwight L. Moody
2) Pray about your fears. Psalm 34:4 says that God will deliver you from your fears . . . if you ask.
3) Recognize that the Lord is with you. Acts 18:9, 10 is a reminder that as the Lord was with Paul, He is also with you.
“To be a soul winner is the happiest thing in the world. And with every soul you bring to Jesus Christ, you seem to get a new heaven here upon earth.” -Charles Spurgeon
4) Don’t be afraid of making mistakes. Isaiah 55:11 gives us a principle that God’s Word will not return void.
5) Don’t be afraid of being asked questions you don’t have answers for. I don’t have all the answers for questions people ask me, so this is what I do – I turn their question into a positive response. When I am sharing my faith and that person asks me a question I do not have an answer for, I simply say, “That is a good question. I will find out the answer to that and get back with you next week.” What I just did is create a second opportunity to speak with them about the Lord in a few days. Difficult questions can be great opportunities for open doors for sharing our faith in God.
To Another Level Lesson: God doesn’t work on the basis of coincidence. He sends people your way so that you can share your faith. Divine Appointments.
6) Be determined to win souls. Make personal evangelism a priority in your life. Don’t be discouraged when you share your faith with someone and they don’t make a decision for Christ. In fact, most evangelism experts say that, on the average, the person who has made a decision for Christ has heard the gospel 6.7 times. So, keep the proclaiming the good news of Jesus Christ.
7) Be prepared to share your “short form” testimony. You have a testimony. God has done amazing things in your life. Are you willing to share it? People want to hear the three-minute version, not the one hour version. Write out your testimony and even memorize it.
To Another Level Lesson: What God has done for you, He can do for others.
8) Allow the Holy Spirit to assist you. In Acts 4:31, we read that after the people prayed, the Holy Spirit came on them and the result was that they began to speak and share their faith with boldness. That same thing can happen to you when you pray and allow the Holy Spirit to help you.
9) Recognize that God has not given us a spirit of fear. 2 Timothy 1:7 is very clear to say that God has not given you a spirit of fear. So, if you are dealing with fear, just know that your fear is not of God. Instead receive the spirit of power, of love, and of self-discipline.
10) Visualize these lost souls in heaven. Just like you had faith to trust Jesus as your Savior and Lord, you can have faith that others can receive that same gift of salvation.
“. . . he who wins souls is wise.” Proverbs 11:30b (NKJV)