For people new to Christianity, prayer can be weird. Think about it. It’s not like normal communication where you can talk with your dad, or text your friend, or call your grandma. Communication is easy with people, but with God, where do you start. He is an all-knowing, ever-present God, but you can’t see Him. Not with your eyes at least. Maybe you feel like you’re talking to an invisible friend or maybe you feel like you’re praying wrong or you don’t know how to pray. Just know that it’s simpler than it looks.
- Read the Bible. This is where everyone should start. You can download the YouVersion Bible app on your phone to begin your journey. I also recommend checking out The Bible Project on Youtube to watch videos on the books of the Bible and simplified versions of what’s going on in the story.
- Learn in community. You can get to know God by seeing God in people. Even though people aren’t perfect, the character traits of God can still be shown through great friends in a healthy community. The way we do it here at Fortress is called “Connect Groups.” You can learn more about Connect Groups here.
- Pray every day. Yes, just by praying to God and talking with Him, the Holy Spirit can speak to you. This always reveals who God is and His nature. It won’t be audible, but most likely it will be through friends, family, or through scripture.
“Rejoice in our confident hope. Be patient in trouble, and keep on praying.” – Romans 12:12 (NLT)
God wants to have a relationship with you and pray is an important aspect in the life of a disciple of Jesus. It doesn’t matter if you feel like you don’t know if you’re praying right or if you don’t know what to say. As long as your sincere and consistent in prayer in any and every situation, keep praying. It may be awkward, but I think we should embrace the awkwardness. Use it as a conversation starter with God. He understands.
“The greatest tragedy of life is not unanswered prayer, but unoffered prayer.” – F.B. Meyer
Here are some tips to help you today:
- Get a journal. Write down what you feel like God is trying to say to you.
- Get a devotional book. We have plenty of devotional books we recommend in the Ministry Resource Center on the campus of Fortress Church.
- Practice praying. Just talk to Him. It helps if you can keep a prayer list and pray for other people, not just yourself.
We also have this amazing online resource called “Right Now Media” which streams thousands of videos about growing in your relationship with God. You can access this resource absolutely FREE by going here.
Pastor Matt Garcia
Matt serves on the pastoral staff of Fortress Church and seeks to inspire young leaders toward spiritual maturity.